Unit : Rate
Labour Force : The labour force is composed of the economically active population 10 years of age and over.
The Economically Active Population : is defined as those persons who are / were employed or unemployed during the reference period of the survey.
Employed : Persons who during the reference period worked as paid employees, employers, own account workers (self employed), or unpaid family workers are said to be employed. This includes persons with a job but not at work during the reference period.
Unemployed : Persons who are seeking and available for work , but had no employment during the reference period.
Reference period “current” : The week preceding the week of the survey; i.e. last week.
· Total Employment is categorized under three Main Industries; Agriculture, Industry and Services. Employment in three main industries is the percentage of employment in each industry divided by total employment.
Agriculture consists of : 1. Agriculture
2. Foresty and Fishery
Industry consists of : 1. Manufacturing
3. Mining & Quarrying
4. Electricity, Gas and Water supply
Services consists of : 1. Wholesale and Retail Trade,
2. Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods
3. Hotels and Restaurants
4. Transport, Storage and Communication
5. Financial Intermediation and Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities
6. Public Administration and Defence, Compulsory Social Security
8. Health and Social work
9. Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities
10. Private Households with Employed Persons
11. Miscellaneous Labour work
12. Extra Territorial Organizations & bodies
· Unemployment in the Youth is defined as unemployment in the age group between fifteen to twenty four years. Unemployment rate is defined above.
Minimum age is important considering economically active and it is considered
as 10 years and above for Labour Force Survey,
Currently active population is based on short reference period such as one week
or one day. It is considered as one week for Labour Force Survey,
Source : Labour Force Survey (Quarterly), Department of Census & Statistics.